How to Store Leather Handbags & Shoes – Tips by The Leather Laundry
Why is it important to store your leather shoes and leather handbags properly ?
Leather is animal hide and thus a product of nature! It is very malleable and thus changes shape and form very easily! If leather shoes and handbags are tucked away in a moist place then they will get riddled with mold! Likewise if leather gear is exposed to sunlight and dry weather for a prolonged period, then it will start losing it’s colour! Thus it is very important to understand how to store leather handbags and shoes , the right way!
Below, TLL shares some cool tips on how to store leather handbags and shoes:
How to store leather handbags?
- Wipe your leather bag with a damp cloth to remove dry dry dust/dirt sitting on the surface. Then wipe off with a dry muslin cloth.
- Apply a thin film of a good leather conditioner and leave it to age for 30 minutes. Then wipe off the surface of the bag with a dry muslin cloth! We recommend reconditioning at least once a year! Rehydration opens up the pores of the leather and let’s it breathe!
- Fill the bag with crumbled butter paper, bubble wrap or plastic cushion air bags to help it retain it’s shape. Do not use newspapers, as the ink tends to rub off on the inside fabric. Also crumbled newspaper often shrinks, thus distorting the shape of the bag.
- Leather handbags are susceptible to staining very quickly! Colour rub off’s from denim and other darker tones is very common! Thus, store the bag in dust bag or pillow cover. Avoid storing in a plastic bag or sealed container as the handbag needs to breathe and the slightest bit of moisture can cause mildew/mold.
- Store handbags with a pouch or two of silica gel, to keep any kind of moisture at bay!
- Store the bag in a cool & dark place. Exposure to the sun causes the leather to discolour! Do not hang the bag , as it stretches out the handles.
- If the bag has a metal chain or strap, make sure to put it inside the bag while storing it! Alternatively, you can wrap the metal handle/chain with foam or butter paper to prevent it from scratching!
If bags are not stored well, they would need frequent repair! We at TLL, offer handbag repair services like shape correction, handle restructuring and replacement, metal hardware electroplating etc.
How to store leather shoes?
- Before storing your shoes, wipe them with a damp cloth to get rid of the dirt & dust sitting on the surface.
- Apply a thin layer of a good leather balm to recondition the shoes and make the leather soft and supple. Apply this conditioner generously and frequently as it prevents the leather from cracking and it makes the shoes more durable.
- Leather shoes need to be stored in a temperature-controlled area that is cool and dry as high moisture and very hot and cold temperatures tend to destroy leather.
- Stuff shoes up with acid free tissue paper to help them retain their shape. You can alternatively use shoe trees but make sure they are of the right size.
- Cover or wrap the stuffed shoes with muslin cloth or acid free butter paper, before placing them in them in shoe racks or storage boxes.
- Patent shoes should be stored in cloth bags as patent is quite prone to dye transfers! It is also needed so that they remain shin, fresh and non-sticky.
- Store shoes in their original shoe boxes if space permits. There should be dedicated shoe racks for each season.
- Store leather boots upright using a boot stand, so that they retain their shape.
Need more information on right packing and storing tips?
At The Leather Laundry, we are selling dust bags, cloth wipes, air bags (shape retainers) etc! Get in touch to know more! We also offer handbag repair services in Delhi, Mumbai, Chennai, Bangalore, Hyderabad, Kolkata & Pune!
#howtostore #leatherhandbags #leathershoes #theleattherlaundry #leatherreapir #leatherbag