How to Store Leather Handbags & Shoes – Tips by The Leather Laundry
Why is it important to store your leather shoes and leather handbags properly ?
Leather is animal hide and thus a product of nature! It is very malleable and thus changes shape and form very easily! If leather shoes and handbags are tucked away in a moist place then they will get riddled with mold! Likewise if leather gear is exposed to sunlight and dry weather for a prolonged period, then it will start losing it’s colour! Thus it is very important to understand how to store leather handbags and shoes , the right way!
Below, TLL shares some cool tips on how to store leather shoes and handbags:
- Wipe your bag with a damp cloth to remove dry dust/dirt sitting on the surface
- Apply a thin layer of a good leather conditioner and leave it to age for 30 minutes. Then wipe off the surface of the bag with a dry muslin cloth! Handbag reconditioning is recommended atleast once a year.
- Fill the bag with crumbled butter paper, bubble wrap or plastic cushion air bags to help it retain it’s shape. Do not use newspapers, as the ink tends to rub off on the inside fabric.
- Store the bag in dust bag or pillow cover. Avoid storing in a plastic bag as the handbag needs to breathe and the slightest bit of moisture can cause mildew/mold.
- Store the bag in a cool & dark place. Do not hang the bag , as it stretches out the handles.
- Before storing your shoes, make sure you give them a generic cleaning and conditioning treatment
- Leather shoes need to be stored in a temperature-controlled area that is cool and dry as high moisture and very hot and cold temperatures tend to destroy leather.
- Stuff shoes up with acid free butter paper to help them retain their shape. You can alternatively use shoe trees.
- Patent shoes should be stored in cloth bags as patent is quite prone to dye transfers! It is also needed so that they remain shiny and fresh.
- Store shoes in their original shoe boxes if space permits. There should be dedicated shoe racks for each season
- For boots, should be stored upright using a boot stand so they retain their shape.
Need more information on right packing and storing tips?
At The Leather Laundry, we are selling dust bags, cloth wipes, air bags (shape retainers) etc! Get in touch to know more!
#howtostore #leatherhandbags #leathershoes #theleattherlaundry